Hi from Canada again!
I’m back home and now able to blog about how the Tree gown is progressing! I’m still going to finish the V&A virtual tour, but thought I should get going with Tree since there’s been a lot going on with it! I actually started this post a couple of months ago, but wasn’t able to get all the elements together until today. So, let’s dive right in, shall we?
An interesting combination of fabrics and materials were used by Charles James for his “Tree” gown. While I will mention what all of them are as they are incorporated into my version, I thought it might be useful to have a post that lays them all out in one spot as a sort of reference. This also gives me a perfect opportunity to show off the amazing coloured silk I got for the fashion fabric, hee!
To make things even clearer, I decided to draw a little diagram of each layer of the gown to make it even easier to visualize what goes where and how. I’ll be going from the innermost layer out.
#1 Bodice foundation
Since finishing the project that popped up and took over most of my November I busily got back into working on the Tree Gown. I only had a week in which to go like gangbusters before heading out of town for another week (where I am now – in Quebec City, where it appears they will surely be having a very white Christmas! lol). However, I pretty much got the rest of the muslin-ing done. Hooray! I was even able to start cutting and assembling parts of the foundation in their ‘real’ fabrics/materials, but I’m keeping this post focused on the multiple layers of muslin!
For reference, here is the post on the first muslined layers, the bodice foundation and the innermost petticoat.
I decided to be super-thorough and do up another innermost petticoat muslin so I could try out the ruffle at the bottom in terms of length and proportion.
I have not been working on “Tree” as much this month as I’d originally envisioned. Towards the end of October a friend let me know about a pretty nifty event happening in town at the end of November and I’ve mostly been working on a project for that. It’s been very fun and I’m looking forward to blogging about it soon!
However, I have been getting somewhere with Tree too. I decided to start with the bodice foundation as it appears from all the images I’ve so far seen that the whole skirt gets mounted to it, so I figured I’d better get that sorted first. I’ve now done 2 bodice foundation muslins. It’s still not perfect but I’m hoping I can get away with just fiddling with muslin #2 and the pattern rather than make a 3rd.
Let me start by showing you the pattern pieces for the bodice foundation as traced from Tim’s “originals”
Between now and March 29, 2014 I have two big sewing projects going on (in addition to other small and medium/everyday ones). These are for the annual Toronto Garrison Ball – a big military ball. Because I’m married to a member of the Canadian Forces, I get to go! I’ve gone three times now.