This is the final summer dress I made this year. It’s also quite possibly the most comfortable, making me wish it had been the first. But at least it was done in time to help get me through the horrors of August heat/humidity. It was also a favourite during my recent trip to Italy in September.
It’s made using the same bodice pattern as the Flamingo dress, just altering it back to be sleeveless (as per one of the options with the original Burda WOF pattern). For reference, the pattern is number 112 from the November 2007 issue of the Burda magazine when it was still Burda World of Fashion, so unfortunately earlier than they started archiving them on the website.
Oh but look, I did just find an image of the line drawing from the Russian site on Pinterest:
The skirt is just 3 panels of the 54-60″ wide fabric gathered/pleated up using the ruffler foot on my Singer Featherweight.
It’s made from a really lovely cotton voile I’d had in the stash for a few years. I love the swirly, impressionistic print of it and the combination of light and dark olive greens with hints of aqua/turquoise.
It also happens to be THE perfect fabric for DC summers – so lightweight and cool, and with just a hint of crispness to it that keeps the surface smooth and cool. I have some more of this fabric in an abstract watercolour-ish print in shades of mauve that I was hoping to make up this year, but it will now have to wait until next spring. Next summer it is quite possible that I will live entirely in these two dresses (unless I can get my hands on more cotton voile of this type).
I had to take these photos myself so they’re not as good or fun as the one’s Taylor took of me, but considering I’m usually really terrible at doing this myself I’m pretty darn happy with how these turned out!
And one thing I didn’t notice until seeing these photos is how much this dress emphasizes the bust, like I seriously do not have that much going on up there in reality.
So, if you are smaller-busted and would like to add a little more…..fullness……up there (only if you want to – you are beautiful just the way you are already!) then this style of bodice would probably be really good for that. But I think for next year I may get a soft-cup bra to wear with it (rather than the foam-cup ones I generally wear – which may be more than you feel you need to know about me, lol).
There is a WHOLE lotta skirt going on here!
And I love it!
The one problem with having so much skirt is that it can be hard to find the pockets.
Obligatory back shot, with yet another exposed zipper.
And here it is in Florence, not the best picture of either me or the dress, but the view of the city from the Pitti Palace Garden is pretty fab!
A couple of interior shots:
Since I had enough of the fabric and really wanted to keep the bodice as light as possible while nicely and stably finished I did a self-lined bodice.
You may also notice the pockets are more towards the front than the sides. This is what happens when you do a 3-panel skirt and want to be as lazy as you can get away with while keeping it clean. When I use 3 panels in a skirt I place one at centre front and the other two from side front to back – just like a circle (or pie – yum!) divided into 3 pieces. Because I don’t want to create any additional seams/work for myself, I put the pockets into the side front seams.
And now I think that about does it for my summer sewing this year!