Well, late again. But at least by not as much this time. I was hoping to be able to wear 2 Indie Pattern pieces for my 2nd week, but had to make do with one.
Both are Elisalex dresses from By Hand London that I made last weekend, but the other ended up with some funny pulling at the back neckline and it took time to figure out why. I’m only just actually fixing it this week. I’ll explain more when I post it – hopefully as part of this week’s round-up.
So here is Elisalex #1, I wore it on Monday (and over this past weekend as it’s so comfortable and great for cool-ish spring weather). It’s actually made from drapery-weight fabric I found at Value Village within the last couple of years. I think it’s a great weight of fabric for this style, especially for helping the skirt hold its shape.
I decided to get snazzy and accessorize with a vintage purse for this photo! lol
I altered the cut of the skirt a little from the pattern. I find I prefer having a very comfortable amount of leg-room in my skirts/dresses so made the hem fuller than the pattern has it. I basically ended up cutting the side seams straight and letting the large inverted box pleats do all the shaping. So, it’s not got as exaggerated a tulip shape as intended, but it suits my tastes and preferences better this way.
This is already a new favourite pattern for me – I envision several more Elisalexes in my future! It’s just so easy to wear and instantly makes you feel well-dressed
Apart from that I just tweaked it for fit (still a work in progress, but I hope one or two more versions will get it just right!). I added self-fabric piping at both the neckline and waistline to add a little more definition and give a really clean finish.
I’ve been busy at dress sewing again this past weekend, and so anticipate having lots more to show for myself with my next round-up!